Sèlia Dos Santos: My Yoga Journey and Samsara

 

My name is Sèlia Dos Santos, I’m a 23 year old woman living in Belgium.

I teach yoga and I’m a herbalist.

 My yoga path started 5 years ago, I was always interested in the ‘spiritual’. One time I was scrolling down my youtube page and saw an ashtanga video from Laruga Glaser. I was fascinated! The way she has control over her body and mind was phenomenal- I felt the energy through my computer. I was curious about what people were experiencing through yoga since everyone claimed to feel free, happy and aligned once they started a (daily) yoga practice. I didn’t know what to expect. So I started doing yoga at home with videos. I started with the classic ‘Yoga with Adrienne’ classes, but I felt like it wasn’t my cup of tea. I stopped for a while and then I saw the documentary ‘My Dharma’- I was sold. From that moment I took my yoga practice more seriously, I practiced often and went to classes here and there, I read books and articles about yoga, and I watched a lot of videos about gurus and yogis. I discovered that yoga asana wasn’t the only form of yoga- there was more. So much more. It always starts with you.

I changed my diet, going full on vegetarian, I became more and more disciplined about my days, went to bed early, was mindful about my choices and with who I wanted to keep contact with, I read books about life, manifestation, spiritual awakenings, manipulation, studies about food, the environment, overall spiritual books. It was all connected.

 I was so inspired to move on, to change, to evolve.Something inside me was pushing me towards that lifestyle. Somehow I knew it would be good. The more I followed that path the clearer it became. Everyday I was changing and learning.I still do. Doing shadow work, healing parts I didn’t know had wounds, loving myself through everything I did. Unlearning, dying, re-inventing myself, respecting myself. Trusting the universe blindly leads you to yourself.

 One year ago I went to India for a yoga teacher training in Goa.

IT. WAS. THE. BEST. DECISION. EVER.

Only then did I truly learn about yoga. Everything was yoga from the beginning till the end. We learnt about the philosophy of yoga, what it truly is, the connection between your thoughts, diet, words, friends, family and your life. Yoga taught me gratitude. Everyday I have thousands of reasons to be grateful. And that’s when the magic happens, when you start believing. Yoga taught me patience. The day you plant the seed is not the day you eat the fruit- it will come, I’m 100 % sure. Speak your wishes out loud, show up like your higher self, put yourself first. Get what you want. Consistency is a part of growth which leads to success.

Since I adopted a yogic lifestyle I live with gratitude in my heart. It’s not yoga, it’s you. My life is lighter, I have no feelings of jealousy, hatred, or resentment,… I encourage all of you to start believing. That’s the first step.When on my mat, I am focussed, grateful, free, open, here.

In the first years I was judging myself (I still am but not as much as before). I would push my body to a specific asana, I was distracted, and it was counterproductive. But I learned from it, I know now that that was not the way.

If I could give my 18 years old self advice, it would be to NEVER doubt yourself and ALWAYS trust your intuition, which becomes clearer through healing and detoxifying. To not let fear become your excuse. To be 100 % authentic no matter what because that attracts what you need <3

It sounds cliché, I know but it’s as simple as that.Yoga gave me the freedom to unfold, to be clear and pure. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still human- I’m still the same but different.

 I literally died to become who I am now. I am 5-6 versions away from who I was.

Samsara, and it will continue. I can’t wait for the future me’s.

 

I’m going SUPER SAIYAN!


You can follow Sèlia on Instagram: @seliasurya

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Say 'Namaste' in my Yoga Classes

I turned 23 today, here are some things I've learnt since I turned 22.

I Turned 24 Today. Here's What I Learned Since I Turned 23.